This project is home to a growing family brave enough to have taken on a full gut renovation of a traditional South End row house. From repairing rotten foundation piles to creating a retractable skylight roof hatch that conveniently tucks away when accessing a roof deck with 360 degree views of Boston, top to bottom, you are surrounded by custom everything. Exquisitely crafted cabinetry, precisely laid rift and quartered white oak flooring and endless details that embrace the age of the building while adding perfectly customized modern amenities.
This home is a piece of artwork in itself! Designed with a perfect combination of contemporary comforts and modern features:
- A custom metal staircase, fabricated off site and craned into the home via the skylight opening, is adorned with glass walls, creating the home’s central focal point.
- The Primary Bedroom Suite leads you to a his and her closet and to the wow factor marble vanity & shower structure.
- Float down the stairs to a children’s area that encourages play and fun; climbing wall included on the garden level!
- But remember there’s something for everyone in this home, so just on the opposite side of the indoor playground is a den that makes you feel like you stepped into a ski lodge complete with a wood burning fireplace and living space.
To deliver “art” required a number of technical construction decisions as well:
- After an already significant design to the location of the central staircase, it became apparent that the best solution was to reframe the floor systems in their entirety.
- With a number of modifications to the rear masonry elevation, we decided to remove the existing wall and start all over again.
- Classic double hung windows at the front elevation maintain the historic integrity of the neighborhood beautifully juxtaposed to the steel framed windows and doors at the rear elevation. Both requiring expert craft and precise detail.
This collaboration, this exquisite piece of art, truly required the delicate dance between art and science.
This South End stunner is one to remember!